Thursday 21 May 2015

Virtual Life VS Real Life

If only life was measured in XP and levels. If it were I’d be a pro at life. One of my greatest hobbies/ passions is gaming.  My favourite games are World Of Warcraft, (WoW) Hearthstone, Heroes Of The Storm, Skyrim and The Sims; World of Warcraft being how I spend most of my time (bad I know).

I’m good at WoW; I’d even go as far as to say I’m quite brilliant at it. I’ve put many dedicated hours into making my character better, whether that’s getting good gear, gold or practicing running raids and dungeons. And I like to think that I’ve mastered the art of moderating raid chats, which at times can be a very unfriendly place.

I’m also in a social raiding guild, which is ironic considering I have social anxiety. I chat with my fellow guildies quite comfortably in guild chat. It’s easier for me to talk to people if I write what I want to say. So therefore in-game chat is much easier for me because I don’t have to worry about the other people because they’re not standing right in front of me.

I know that in real life you do get better at things by practicing, but in life you can’t measure your success by what ‘level’ you are or XP. But for me, if I’ve had a tough day or something is making me anxious, gaming is an escape for me because I can just log on and anything that’s happening in real life is irrelevant in game.

Thanks for reading, if any of my gaming words confused you please see below for a little dictionary.

Bye x



Gaming Terms:

XP- experience points, when you get a certain amount of points, you level up.

Guild- A group of players that can chat together, as well as run raids to earn achievements.

Raid- A group of 10-25 players who work together to defeat various bosses and NPCs (non-player characters) for rewards, such as gold or gear items.

Dungeon- A small raid type instance typically containing 5 players who aim to defeat easier bosses and NPCs for less powerful gear rewards.


Guildies- The other people in your guild. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow has been a safe and secure way for you to practice life and now you are bravely taking your first steps into the real world and that is great progress

    ReplyDelete